This blog originally founded by Blogger who holds a theological degree and a doctorate in Counseling Psychology. Taught Psychology for 32 years and is now Professor Emeritus. Is a board-certified psychologist and was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award in his profession. Ministered as a chaplain, and pastored Baptist and Episcopal churches. Publications cover the integration of psychology and theology. Served in the Army, the Merchant Marines and the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Who Are "The least of These?


It is not an inconsequential thing when leaders on the Left have the bully pulpit and misuse Scripture to support their positions. A glaring example is when those on the Left use the phrase "the least of these." Both Pelosi and Obama used it when passing Obamacare, as did others.

I have raged against the Left’s corruption of this Scripture for years. Recently I ran across an  excellent article that I can now pull from for this post. 

Tell me have you ever heard a Leftie finish the phrase much less the whole story? Here is what Jesus said
Matt 25:40. "The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Jesus never refers elsewhere to the Jews as his brothers and sisters. So who is He talking about? Definitely not down and out Jews standing around?

Secondly, He could not have meant needy Gentiles (non-Jews). That could have gotten him attacked on the spot.

To understand who He did mean, we have to read on: Vs 41 "Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’44 "They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’45 "He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.

If we follow the Lefties belief that the least of these are the world’s marginalized, then Jesus would have been contradicting everything else in the New Testament, including vitiating His own death on the Cross. No where in the New Testament does anyone teach that if you don’t take care of the marginalized, you are thrown into eternal fire! That is destructive theology.

Then who are the "least of these?" The key lies in Matt. 10:40 when He sent his 70 disciples out to announce the Kingdom. "Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me". And the rewards language in chapter 10 is conspicuously similar, "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward" (v. 42).

So who are the least of these? The least of these are us, His disciples.

Salvation comes when one receives Jesus whom we preach, period.

12 comments:

Democratus Rex said...

Do you have a problem with this one too?

Luke 12:48 "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"

Wolf's Head said...

" Democratus Rex said...
Do you have a problem with this one too?

Luke 12:48 "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"

No.

But it is for God to decide what is given and required, not you or some earthly government.

Nor does it empower you to take what is given to someone else.

Democratus Rex said...

"it is for God to decide .." How does god pass this information down to us mortals?

Reason being is because he told me to tell you to do what I said or you are going to hell.

Blogger said...

DR Luke 12:48. I really don’t know what this Scripture means. My guess is you think Jesus is talking about the 1% ers LOL. I do know that most of the opaque parables have special meaning only to the Jews. He explains to them that their time is up. As the chosen people, they blew it. Now they will be left behind for a season and He will be turning to the Gentiles. I often call the Gospels “50 ways to leave your lover” (if you remember that song.)

Sarkazein said...

Whatever interpretation you believe, nowhere does He say (at least in my limited knowledge) that government should provide charity. Nowhere does He say that government (I think the Romans at the time) should take from one and give to the other. Liberals will do or say anything to escape personal responsibility.
He certainly didn't demand or count on the Romans to feed and cloth His Disciples.

Blogger said...

DR "How does god pass this information down to us mortals." DR I answered that in the post God's Communication
Of course I admit I did enter the caveat that if one has problems with God they might want to skip that post.

DR as you may know, today speaking to a person what God wants them to hear is called prophesying in the New Testament. And St Paul wrote us "But one who prophesies, strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them." 1 Cor 14:3 I don't know where you got your theology from. Sounds like you went to the wrong church as a child.

Democratus Rex said...

When you talk to god, it's prayer.
When god talks to you, it's schizophrenia.

Wolf's Head said...

"Reason being is because he told me to tell you to do what I said or you are going to hell." drex

"Democratus Rex said...
When you talk to god, it's prayer.
When god talks to you, it's schizophrenia."

Yep.

Blogger said...

DR, You wrote: “When god talks to you, it's schizophrenia.” DR One of the most exciting happenings to the disciples at Pentecost was they became aware that God had moved His location from “out there” to “in here”–into the center of the psyche. They quickly learned to distinguish His voice, not from out there, but from in here. Not since being ejected from God’s presence in the Garden of Eden had God done that. Since then, all of us who share that Pentecostal experience, communicate with God intimately all day, and some time in the night.

Now let me have some fun. I am a Board Certified Psychologist. This means I am one of the few who reached the pinnacle of my profession. One thing that goes with being a psychologist is that society recognizes our credentials as the ones who can certify mental illness. And LOL, I have not certified myself as having Schizophrenia. So show me your credentials. Otherwise I would have to report you for practicing psychology without a license--again with a friendly smile.

Democratus Rex said...

"And LOL, I have not certified myself as having Schizophrenia."
The Dr. that has himself as a patient, has a fool for a client.

If I were to hear "voices" that I felt were god, I would hope to quickly reach out for prompt, therapeutic, intense medical treatment. I would hope that as a Board Certified clinician that you would do so as well. At least, inform your clients that you receive and respond to supernatural communication--again with real concern.

guy faulkes said...

Drex, why do you assume you must hear voices to receive a communication from God?

This reasoning is part of your problem.

Democratus Rex said...

A burning bush? Tell me, how do you receive a communication from god that is discernible from your own thought? A communication so unique that you know that you did not contrive it yourself? Tell me, how does that communication avail itself? Please don't fall back on "it was a sign" or some other arbitrary, coincidental happenstance. Convince me.